Cleveland Personal Injury Lawyers

hurt at home or work

Serving Personal Injury Victims in Cleveland and Throughout Northeast Ohio

Injuries happen every day, in many different ways. Some of the most common types of Ohio injuries include car accident injuries and injuries sustained in a fall.

Getting hurt is jarring even if the injury is minor, and when significant medical care or an extended recovery is required, the injury can be even more disruptive. In fact, the aftermath of an injury can impact not just the injured party, but also their family and others close to them. 

When the injury is caused in whole or part by someone else's negligence, the injured party may be entitled to compensation. In some cases, close family members may also be entitled to compensation. The best source of information about the compensation that may be available to you is an experienced Ohio personal injury lawyer.

What is Negligence? 

To establish a negligence claim under Ohio law, the injured party must show:

  • That the defendant had a duty of care, 
  • That the defendant failed to live up to that duty of care, sometimes described as "breach," and
  • That the defendant's breach of the duty of care caused or substantially contributed to the plaintiff's injuries

While there are some limited exceptions, most personal injury claims in Ohio are based in negligence. That means it is the plaintiff’s responsibility to prove each of the points listed above.

What Are Some Common Types of Cleveland Personal Injury Claims? 

At Vecchio & Vegh, we have represented people in a wide variety of personal injury cases. Some of the most common types of personal injury cases include:

  • * Motor vehicle accidents such as car accidents, trucking accidents, motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents, pedestrian accidents
  • * Slip and fall injuries that occur on someone else's property
  • * Dog bite injuries

We also handle a range of related case types, including:


  • * Wrongful death claims
  • * Medical and dental malpractice claims


What if the Injured Person Was Partly Responsible? 

In Ohio, an injury victim who was partly responsible for their own accident may still be able to recover partial compensation. In that situation, compensation is awarded in proportion to responsibility for the injury. For example, if the plaintiff is found to be 25% responsible for the injury and the defendant is found to be 75% responsible for the injury, then the plaintiff would only be eligible to receive compensation for 75% of their damages. They would be expected to absorb the remaining 25% since that portion was determined to be their own fault.

However, there is a cutoff. If the injured party is found to be more than 50% responsible, no compensation will be awarded.

Talk to a Cleveland Personal Injury Lawyer Right Away

In most personal injury cases, an insurance company is responsible for paying any damages the plaintiff establishes. That’s good news for injury victims since it often means there are more resources available to compensate them for their injuries and pay expenses associated with the injury. But, there’s a downside, too. 

Insurance companies make their money by taking in premiums and avoiding or minimizing payouts. That means the seemingly nice insurance company representative who reaches out to you isn’t on your side. Their job is to save the company money. They’ll take advantage of innocent mistakes to avoid paying fair compensation. So, it’s in your best interest to connect with an experienced Ohio personal injury lawyer as early as possible. Your attorney can take over interactions with the insurance company to protect you against common traps and tactics. 

To learn how we can help you build the strongest case possible, call 216-566-1424 or fill out our contact form. The initial consultation is free.